What is Application Software
Definition of Application Software
Application software uses the capabilities of the computer to perform a specific task. The application software is capable of manipulating text, numbers, graphics, and audio and video files. Application software is often used for commercial purposes, found in the educational, business, and medical fields.
Application software is simply known as an application or “app”. Some examples of application software are Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Adobe Reader, and Internet Explorer. Practically all users are familiar with some application software, since generally many of us use desktop applications or mobile devices such as cell phones on a daily basis.
Types of Application Software
There are different types of application software, the most important ones are mentioned below:
- Word processing software: The main purpose of this software is the creation and manipulation of documents. Examples are Microsoft Word, Word Pad, Notepad.
- Database software: The purpose of this type of program applications is to organize and manage data in such a way that information analysis can be carried out. Examples are: Microsoft Access, dBase, FoxPro and Oracle.
- Spreadsheet software : They are used to keep generally numerical data organized in order to obtain budgets, financial statements, average grades, sales records and more calculations or statistics. Examples are Microsoft Excel, Lotus 1-2-3, and Numbers (Apple).
- Multimedia software : This type of software allows the user to create or process audio and video. Examples are games, Microsoft media player and others.
- Presentation software : It is very helpful in meetings and exhibitions, used to display graphics, text and statistics in the form of a presentation using slides. The best example of this type of application software is Microsoft PowerPoint.
Examples of application software
- Payroll Software
- Software for accounting record
- Student registration software
- inventory management software
- Income Tax Software
- Reservation of airline tickets
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Application software features
- Easy to understand
- easy to design
- Usually written in high-level language
- Easy to handle and use