It is a way of reproducing that some organisms have where the intervention of progenitor organisms or cells that fulfill this function does not exist .
In asexual reproduction only one parent organism intervenes , thus being the reproduction much shorter in time. It is worth mentioning that, it is much more frequent in those organisms that are more primitive in the evolutionary aspect, such is the case of bacteria , fungi , algae and some types of plants.
Asexual reproduction is defined as that which is carried out without the intervention of the gametes. Only one parent is needed for reproduction to take place, for this reason it is usually identical to them.
For asexual reproduction to occur, only mitosis needs to be used, since only one individual can generate several descendants that are exactly the same.
Types of asexual reproduction
- Sporulation: they are mitotic formations, the cells have very resistant walls and this makes them special and ideal for reproduction by means of spores.
- Vegetative multiplication: in this case the reproduction arises from divisions of the same organism which gives rise to new ones, in addition, they present the same characteristics of the original organism. Three subtypes can be found in this type: Fragmentation, germination, and binary fission.
- Apoximia: this type occurs in what is known as higher plants, the embryo is formed without the need for prior fertilization, that is, the plants reproduce without syngamia or meiosis occurring .
20 Examples of Asexual Reproduction
- Potato cultivation.
- Bacterial colony.
- The starfish that can be regenerated from one of its tips or arms.
- Orchid cultivation.
- The stick insect.
- The multiplication of the cactus.
- The formation of algae.
- Whip-tailed lizards
- Komodo dragons
- Salamanders There are some types of salamanders that reproduce asexually through gynogenesis.
- Scorpions Some species of scorpions reproduce asexually since they use partogenesis as a means of reproduction.
- The water fleas in this case the reproduction is made by the females, for this reason their offspring are identical to them.
- The wasps and the eggs of these insects reproduce by means of the bacterium Wolbachia for this reason is that these are clones identical to the mother.
- Starfish these reproduce asexually by fragmentation since a part is completely divided from the individual, thus forming a new one.
- Amoebas reproduce asexually through the fission process since the two nuclei separate and thus form amoebas that are genetically the same.
- The sea lily these are sea plants which reproduce asexually through the partition process, this is because the part that is part of the lily is sealed, thus forming a new plant.
- Sea sponges in this case, reproduction happens from the mother’s bud, but in order to grow and free herself, she has to wait for the mother sponge to die.
- Sea urchins reproduce asexually through fragmentation since new individuals are formed when dividing into two or more parts.
- Bees reproduce asexually through partogenesis, they produce eggs without having to be fertilized by the male.