20 concepts of terms used in basic computing
If you are new to computing and computing, you may come across certain terms that you are not familiar with. This article is an introduction to some of the most commonly used terms in computing. Here you will find a list that will help you clarify things a bit.
1. Concept of Computing It is the process of using computer technology to complete a task. Computing may involve computer hardware and/or software, but must involve some form of a computer system. Most people use some form of computing every day, whether they realize it or not. Swiping a debit card, sending an email, or using a cell phone can be considered a form of computing.
2. Concept of Data The data is a symbolic representation, whether numerical, alphabetical, algorithmic, etc. A datum is an attribute or characteristic of an entity. Data are facts that describe events and entities. They don’t have any information.
3. Concept of Hardware They are the physical components of the computer. They usually include the; monitor, printer, mouse, keyboard and modem.
4. Concept of Printer A printer is a device that accepts text and graphic output from a computer and transfers the information to paper, usually standard size sheets of paper.
5. Concept of Information It is a set of data with a meaning, that is, it reduces uncertainty or increases knowledge of something.
6. Concept of Computing Computing is the science, practice or process of collecting, organizing, storing, analyzing, preserving, retrieving and controlling data and records relevant to an organization. Computer science focuses on the development of software and hardware systems that allow a company or organization to function more efficiently from a technological perspective.
7. Programming Language Concept A programming language is a set of commands, instructions, and other syntax used to create a software program. The languages that programmers use to write code are called “high-level languages.” This code can be compiled into a “low-level language,” which is directly recognized by the computer’s hardware.
8. Concept of Memory It is the amount of temporary storage that you can use at the same time. Memory stores end when the computer is turned off. This is the reason why it saves work before shutting down the computer. Data is saved from RAM to the computer or to a storage drive, such as a CD.
9. Concept of Monitor It is an electronic visual computer screen that includes a screen, a circuit and the case in which that circuit is enclosed. Similar to a television screen, the monitor allows you to view the data on your computer.
10. Web Browser Concept Or simply “browser”, it is an application used to access and view websites. Common web browsers include Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari.
11. Concept of Peripheral Describes everything that can be connected to the input ports of the computer, such as; keyboard, printer, mouse, external modem, scanner, or external hard drive.
12. Program Concept A program is software that runs on a computer. A program consists of compiled code that can be run directly from the computer’s operating system.
13. Mouse Concept In a handheld device to control the cursor on the screen. The PC mouse has two buttons. The button is usually clicked once to select an item on the screen. Double-clicking the left button opens windows or programs.
14. Server Concept It is a computer with a software program configured to serve web pages to a user on the same computer or another computer.
15. Computer System Concept Allows users to enter, manipulate and store data. Computer systems typically include a computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other optional components. All of these components can also be integrated into a single unit, such as laptops.
16. Operating System Concept Directs the computer how to operate. It acts as a mediator between the hardware and the application programs that are used for work. This allows access to computer files, loads application programs into memory, and closes programs.
17. Concept of Software They are instructions executed by a computer. Software is the programs or applications that allow the computer to function or perform certain tasks.
18. Keyboard Concept Similar in part to a typewriter keyboard, used to type (type) in commands, text, and data
19. CPU Concept Central Processing Unit is the main component of a computer that processes instructions. It runs the operating system and applications, constantly receiving information from the user or active software programs.
20. Concept of Virus It is a piece of software that can be copied and attached to another program to survive and replicate.