10 Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
Disadvantages of artificial intelligence:
1) One of the main disadvantages of artificial intelligence is the cost incurred in maintenance and repair. Programs must be updated to meet changing requirements, and machines must be made smarter. In the event of a breakdown, the cost of repair can be very high. Procedures to restore lost code or data can be time consuming and expensive.
2) A major concern regarding the application of artificial intelligence is ethics and moral values. Is it ethically correct to create replicas of human beings? Do our moral values allow us to recreate intelligence? A machine does what it is told, it does not think whether it is correct or not.
3) Machines can store huge amounts of data, but storage, access, and retrieval are not as efficient as the human brain. They may be able to perform repetitive tasks for a long time, but they don’t improve with experience like humans do.
4) Machines cannot act differently than they are programmed to do. While this is primarily seen as an advantage, it can work in another way, when a situation calls for you to act differently than usual.
5) The idea of machines replacing humans sounds wonderful. But as we indicated before, a machine does not think or feel. Concepts such as caring and understanding cannot be understood by machines, so however intelligent they become, they will always lack the human touch.
6) Imagine intelligent machines used in creative fields, such as painting or music. Machines lack a creative mind and cannot compete with the intuitive abilities that humans possess.
7) If robots begin to replace humans in all fields, it will eventually increase the unemployment rate. People must become more competitive.
8) Intelligent machines can perform multiple tasks. With so much help, humans do not need to use their thinking abilities, these abilities can gradually decrease. With the heavy application of artificial intelligence, humans can become overly dependent on machines.
9) If the control of the machines goes into the wrong hands, it can cause destruction. Machines won’t think before they act. Therefore, they can be programmed to do bad things, or for the massive destruction of towns or cities.
10) Apart from all these drawbacks of artificial intelligence, there is a fear that robots will outperform humans. Ideally, humans should remain the masters of the machines. However, if things change, the world will turn into chaos.