The birds are vertebrates , whose main feature to have the forelimbs modified as wings , which in most cases you can fly. In addition, they have hind limbs, which gives them the ability to walk, jump, and stand. They have a body that can vary completely in sizes, ranging from 6.5 centimeters to 2.74 meters.
Some of the characteristics common to all birds are the streamlined body or the thin and powerful muscles . Also, in your heart, two atria and two ventricles can differentiate, and your skin lacks glands. Another common characteristic is regarding the glands, because at the base of the tail its only two uropygial glands are located that secrete an odorous and greasy substance.
On the other hand, many of its characteristics are different depending on the type of bird. Based on this, groups are distinguished:
- Anseriformes : They are aquatic birds, with three toes attached to a membrane that allows them to swim. Ducks stand out.
- Passerines : Their members are usually small and singing, and they have three toes back and one forward. Crows and rooks are the largest of this group.
- Strigiformes : Usually nocturnal birds, which usually take refuge during the day.
- Psittaciformes : Includes specimens with a curved beak, which have two fingers forward and the rest backward. The most frequent are parrots.
- Columbiformes : They are good fliers and have a varied diet. Pigeons stand out.
- Piciformes : Varied fed, some of which feed on insects. Toucans and woodpeckers are part of this group.
- Falconiformes : They have powerful claws, they are highly valued in the sport of falconry.
- Struthioniformes : Flightless animals, usually larger than all other groups. The ostrich stands out.
- Galliformes : In some cases they cannot fly. Its legs have four toes, three forwards and one backwards.
Characteristics of all birds
- They are vertebrates (which means they have a spine or vertebral column)
- They are endothermic . Also known as hot-blooded. Endothermic animals regulate their own body temperature, allowing them to live in almost all climates on earth.
- They have feathers
- They lay eggs with hard, water-resistant shells . Male birds incubate the eggs until they hatch, and care for their young.
Birds spend most of their day gathering food to support the proper functioning of their metabolism which is usually quite fast. Some birds eat a variety of foods, while others prefer seeds, insects, and worms . Some types of birds migrate long distances at certain times of the year, flying at night and feeding during the day.
On the other hand, birds tend to communicate primarily through visual and auditory signals . The signals can be interspecific (between different species) or intraspecific (of a single species). Their plumage is of the utmost importance since it allows them to establish or reaffirm their social position; to indicate their sexual receptivity, or to intimidate, as in the case of the exhibition of some species that seek to scare away their predators and protect their chickens.
Examples of birds in tabular form
Role of birds in nature
The birds are particularly important in the environment, because they are often critical links within large chains and networks of the ecosystem: this means they have a very strong linkage with other closely related species, whether animal or vegetable.
Birds are dispersal agents because they spread seeds of various plants, or even pollinate various producer plants. In addition, the birds carry out biological controls , since they consume hundreds of insects, thus avoiding different pests.
How is their behavior?
Different questions of birds interested man since their coexistence on planet earth. Their behavior includes the emission of some vocal sounds that have an appeal that has often been captured by men, who even perform singing competitions.
In addition, although birds were often thought to be of the lowest intelligence mammals, the visual and auditory senses are very well developed in most of them . Finally, birds are used in the field of sport, particularly in falconry, which is the activity of hunting with raptors.
The types of birds according to their wings
There are four general wing shapes that are common in birds: passive crescents, active crescents, elliptical wings, and high speed.
-Passive crescent wings: This type of wing has long primary feathers that extend outward , creating a creation of “spaces” that allow the bird to catch vertical columns of hot air called “thermals” while flying and thus rise higher. in the air. Examples of birds with this type of wing include most eagles, hawks, and storks .
Active crescent wings: These are long and narrow wings, which allow birds to soar with ease for a long time. However, these birds are much more dependent on wind currents than passive soaring birds. Examples of birds with this type of wing would be albatrosses, gulls, and gannets.
Elliptical wings: These types of wings are good for short bursts of high speed. While they allow the power to reach a high speed, the speed cannot be maintained for long, so they make short flights. Examples of birds that have this type of wing would be ravens, blackbirds, sparrows, thrushes, and the American robin .
High speed wings : These types of wings are not as long as birds with active crescent wings. As the name suggests, birds with this type of wing are incredibly fast, but unlike those with elliptical wings, these birds can maintain their speed for quite a long time which allows them to fly in a short time and with good speed. distances that are really long. Examples of birds that have this type of wing would be ducks, hawks, gulls, and terns.
Some of the best examples of birds
Sparrow, Pelican, Penguin, Eagle …
It should be noted that there are several examples of types of birds , each with its characteristics, behavior and climate. For example, there are birds that are migratory and others that are not.
Birds and the examples of their species and uses in other fields are varied, being able to use the word “bird” we can give it other uses that have little or nothing to do with vertebrate animals themselves, such as in the form of acronyms (The AVE , the Virgin Mary…)
There are really many species and types of birds, but after mentioning some of the most popular, we can give you a much more specific list below.
Examples of birds A-Z
|Diamond turtle dove (domestic)|
|Diamond turtledove (wild)|
|Eastern imperial eagle|
|Himalayan Mina (domestic)|
|Himalayan Mina (wild)|
|Iberian imperial eagle|
|Mandarin diamond (domestic)|
|Mandarin Diamond (Wild)|
|Red Bengali (domestic)|
|Red Bengali (wild)|
|Turkish turtle dove|