Examples of Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Mixtures
What is a homogeneous mixture?
A homogeneous mixture is one that appears as a single phase , that is, its components are not noticeable at a glance and it seems a pure substance . This type of mixture exists thanks to the high capacity that some substances have to combine with each other. This property is called miscibility . For example, water and ethyl alcohol can be mixed in infinite proportions, that is, they can be put together in any quantity and will always mix completely.
In many homogeneous mixtures the components can be observed only by means of a microscope, since their particles are perfectly alternated in the material. Of course, there are ways to separate the components , and physical methods are used that involve changing conditions such as: evaporation , in which the temperature rises until the volatile component separates; or fusion , in which the metal with the lower melting point is melted.
30 examples of homogeneous mixtures
- The oil
- Water with sugar previously boiled
- Salted water previously boiled
- Muriatic acid: little hydrochloric acid in water
- Commercial chlorine: little sodium hypochlorite in water
- Concentrated sulfuric acid: contains 2% water
- Drinking water contains salts such as calcium carbonate
- Milk, which contains water, fats and minerals
- Sourdough to make bread
- The dough to prepare a cake
- Coffee with milk is a liquid mixture of brown color, clearer depending on the amount of milk
- The aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)
- The aqueous solution of phosphoric acid
- Aqueous glucose solution
- The olive oil
- Vegetable oil
- Acrylic paint
- Oil painting
- The leads for colored pencils, which carry graphite and pigments
- Ink in water
- Ink in alcohol
- Alloys such as bronze, consisting of copper and tin
- Steel, an alloy that contains iron and a percentage of carbon
- Air is a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% of other gases such as carbon dioxide and noble gases, and water vapor.
- White gold is an alloy made up of gold and metals such as nickel, silver, and palladium.
- The combination of cornstarch with icing sugar and flour forms a white powder with indistinguishable components.
- Soft drinks are homogeneous mixtures of flavorings, sweeteners, and carbonated water.
- The shampoo is a homogeneous mixture of surfactants, fragrance and cleaning agents.
- The mixture of water and alcohol is always homogeneous, no matter how much of each is added.
- Aerosol deodorants are a mixture of fragrance and chemical agents like alcohol and isobutane, pressurized in the can.
What is a smorgasbord?
A heterogeneous mixture is one in which two or more phases are seen , that is, its components can be seen with the naked eye and it is even possible to estimate how much there is of each one. This type of mixture occurs when two or more of the substances that form it are immiscible or are mixed in a very small proportion. For example, water and oil don’t mix, or depending on how high the temperature is, they might mix a bit.
In any heterogeneous mixture, the components are unevenly dispersed , so each portion of it will have different properties such as density, melting point, and boiling point. It is easier to separate them here than in homogeneous mixtures; Simpler physical methods such as decantation, filtration, sieving are required to separate the substances.
30 examples of heterogeneous mixtures
- Water with oil
- Supersaturated calcium sulfate solution (gypsum)
- Sodium sulfate supersaturated solution
- Supersaturated sugar water solution
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Granola cookies
- Peanut snack with dried fruits
- Coleslaw with fruits and vegetables
- Pasta with tomato sauce
- French fries with tomato sauce
- Vegetables soup
- Cereal with milk
- Mixed seasoning of salt with ground garlic, cumin
- Ambient air with dust particles
- Smog is a mixture of combustion gases with soot
- Strawberry jam
- Blackberry jam
- Raspberry marmalade
- Orange juice with pulp
- Multigrain box bread
- Domestic wastewater
- Industrial wastewater
- The garbage that is thrown away daily
- Recycled paper
- A lemonade with ice
- A cream of mushroom with croutons
- Exfoliating creams for women
- Nutritious bars with blueberries and grains
- A frappe coffee with chocolate syrup
- Walnut ice cream with chunks