The violinist spider is well known for the violin-shaped marking that it has on its body, although it is sometimes more noticeable than others, since, as another curious characteristic trait, this species is capable of changing color to camouflage itself. The fiddler spider bite is very annoying and even hurts. Therefore, it is convenient to know this animal well, as this way you can identify it and prevent it from biting you, in addition to leaving it alone in its habitat. If you find it at home, you can also identify it, catch it and remove it outside, for example, by leaving it in a tree.
How is the fiddler spider: characteristics
The fiddler spider ( Loxosceles rufescens ) is an arachnid with the following characteristics:
- It can reach up to 2 cm in size.
- One of its main characteristics is that it changes color as a camouflage technique against its predators.
- It is also characteristic that it has only 3 pairs of eyes (one central and two lateral), while most arachnids have four pairs.
- The name of the violinist spider comes from the marks it has on the ventral part of the cephalothorax, which resemble the shape of a violin .
- Like other arachnids, it tends to live in secluded spaces, such as corners, and generally with little cleaning, where they can weave their fabrics comfortably.
The bite or sting of the violinist spider is very dangerous, since it causes immediate cell death in the tissue, with high proteolytic and necrotic activity. The main symptoms of a fiddler spider bite do not differ from other insect bites:
- Redness and inflammation occur.
- Intense stinging in the area of the bite.
- Probable numbness of the limb or the area where it has stung, which is caused by a slight lack of blood supply due to inflammation.
- Edema also usually occurs at the site of the bite.
In severe cases, and due to the proteolytic activity that we mentioned, tissue necrosis can occur, giving rise to a black eschar. Likewise, there may be systemic symptoms common to other poisoning processes: fever, tachycardia, nausea, vomiting, headache … In these cases, the symptoms usually start before 24 hours. Although it may seem like a long time, it is best to go to a medical center as soon as possible, since the symptoms can get worse. Let us also not forget that a bite is an open wound, so at the same time, although it is not serious in principle, symptoms of infection can be detected, such as liquid discharge and pus.
It should also be borne in mind that not all bites are of the same severity, even if they have been caused by the same agent. The reaction depends to a large extent on each person, that is, on the reaction that the poison causes in their immune system. It also depends on the weight or size of the person and the amount of poison that has been injected, that is, the reaction also depends on the proportion.
A fiddler spider bite should be treated in the same way as other serious bites. Although we leave you here some tips, remember that diagnoses and treatments should always be done by a doctor in person, so you always have to go to a medical center. In this situation, follow these tips to alleviate the symptoms of a fiddler spider bite :
- Go immediately to a medical center: the centers are prepared to recognize and provide the necessary treatment. This bite can be fatal, so trust your doctor.
- Hunting (carefully): if possible, take a picture or carry the spider (or any remnants of it) that can facilitate its identification at the medical center.
- Stay calm: a sting can lead us to states of anxiety that only aggravate our condition. Also, in general, if the heart rate increases, the poison tends to spread further through the body.
- Cold is your friend: a sting will cause inflammation. To combat this annoyance, which can be serious, we recommend using ice, cold compresses or any clean and cold material. If the limb is numb, elevate it to improve circulation a little.
- Avoid infection: a bite always involves an opening in the protective barrier that is our skin and, therefore, a potential source of infection. Cleaning and disinfection can help you avoid developing later problems. Do not use disinfectants that can alter the appearance of the bite, that is, they are dark or of some color, in order to facilitate their recognition.
- Control your temperature: toxins can cause fever, so it is convenient to take the temperature to monitor and adjust the treatment.
- Monitor your general condition: you may feel nauseous or headaches. It is important to monitor these symptoms and not let them pass.
As we have mentioned, we can find this spider in collected or hidden and dirty places. The best way to avoid violinist spider bites is, without a doubt, to keep our homes and places of work and leisure clean . Although spiders do us many favors, such as reducing the number of insects around us, it is not convenient to have many spiders around, especially if they are dangerous. A good cleaning helps us to live with them with minimal risks.
Of course, when you go to clean, we recommend using gloves and any other type of protection that you consider necessary. If there is a spider and you start to destroy the web that it has carefully made to try to hunt and feed, it is likely to feel attacked and more likely to bite. Therefore, care must be taken when carrying out cleaning tasks.