We explain the history of german shepherd dog breed. Are you interested in learning about the history of German Shepherds? Well, the following information addresses this topic. Read on to learn more.
The German Shepherd is a wonderful breed of dog, with a fantastic nature that has been around for a long time, as you will see below.
- The breed is believed to have originated in the 1800s. And in keeping with its name, the German Shepherd originated in Germany. The breed originated by crossing native German dogs.
- During its early days, the German Shepherd was used as a shepherd for sheep. The German Shepherd is an excellent sheepdog, due to its calm temperament and the caution with which it treats sheep. They do not bite or scare sheep, as other breeds of sheepdogs do.
- An interesting fact about the history of German Shepherds is that the German Shepherd Club was founded in 1899. The German name for the club is Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde . This club was founded by Von Stephanitz, who was also the first president of the club.
- The breed club in America was founded later, around 1913.
- During 1900 the German Shepherd breed became very popular in Germany. This popularity later spread to the whole world.
- The breed was used by the German army during the First World War. About 40,000 German Shepherds are believed to have been used during this war. The German Shepherd breed was also used by the Army and Royal Air Force in World War II.
- The history of German Shepherds is quite interesting, because the breed has been used for many different functions over time. As mentioned above they were used as shepherds and also helped in times of war. However, throughout history, and even today, the German Shepherd is used in even more functions. They assist police workers, are aid and rescue dogs, and are often used as guide dogs for the blind. The German Shepherd is chosen to play these roles due to his courageous and loyal nature. Also, the German Shepherd breed is not afraid to save human life before its own, the main reason why the breed is chosen to fulfill these positions.
As you can see from the above, the history of German Shepherds is full of interesting things. Along with fantastic character, its history also makes the German Shepherd the wonderful and popular breed of dog that it is today. So, if you are considering adopting a German Shepherd as part of your family, then you are definitely making the right choice.