When it comes to having a home and garden full of plants, virtually anything can be done with very little money for a little effort or creativity. On other occasions we have seen how to make compost at home, bokashi, humus, etc. to have a garden with spectacular plants.
How to make recycled pots – tips
When it comes to making planters with recycled material , there are as many ways to do it as there are ideas you can come up with. In the end, it is about looking at that container that you were going to throw away, letting the light bulb light up and by the time you want to realize it, you already have something new and original.
In this article we are going to see some of the most used methods to make recycled flowerpots with plastic bottles, cans and pallets , but surely once you get down to them, you yourself will come up with many more ways to make your own designs.
Of course, always be careful with the tools and materials used so that they are not dangerous or can cause accidents.
Actually, this system can also be used with glass bottles, but plastic is preferable because it is much easier to work with and is not dangerous if it breaks. Follow these steps to make a planter out of a plastic bottle :
- Take your plastic bottle and cut it in half roughly, or an inch above the midpoint. Use scissors or a utility knife to remove any ridges that may have been left on the section.
- Put the cap on the bottle, and poke a small hole in the cap of the bottle. You can use any sharp object like a screwdriver or even a pen. Pass a thread of some absorbent material such as wool through this hole. This will help us to make the recycled planter self-watering.
- The lower half of the bottle will be the base of the pot, while the upper part must be turned over, and fit on the base, upside down. In this way, you can put the soil and your plants in the created container, and fill the base with water. Thus, the wool thread will absorb moisture and transmit it to the substrate at the rate that the plant needs.
- Now paint and decorate your bottles however you like to make them a truly unique design!
How to make flower pots out of cans
Making planters with used cans is really simple, since once emptied and washed, they have basically the same shape as a conventional ceramic planter. Follow these instructions to make these original pots:
- If you are going to use them to place plants that need good drainage, however, it is recommended that you make some holes in the base of the can so that the pot can eliminate excess moisture there.
- Once this is done, place the can slightly above ground level, supporting the circumference of its base on small pebbles or any support that seems aesthetic to you, and you have it.
- To make it more attractive and beautiful, you can line them with paper or napkins with motifs that you like. To do this, simply place your chosen paper on them and use varnished glue with a brush. With a little practice, they will be perfect and wrinkle-free. Another option is to paint directly on the can.
How to make flower pots with support pallets
Pallets are an industrial material that is very easy to see discarded in constructions or material transport areas when they break or are not used to work. In most of these sites, in fact, they will not have a problem for you to take some of those that no longer serve them if you approach to ask for it.