How to keep your computer safe on the Internet?
Every day that we encounter dangers on the Internet, the applications installed on your computer are vulnerable to virus or spam attacks, here are some tips you can follow to stay safe.
- Use a Firewall. A firewall can be software or hardware that sits between the computer and the Internet, allowing only certain types of information considered safe to pass through its barrier.
- Install an Antivirus. Some types of viruses are able to cross the firewall especially when they are attached to emails. An antivirus will help locate and remove viruses from your computer. Depending on your antivirus settings, it can detect the presence of a virus before it takes over your PC. Keeping a virus active all the time causes your computer to slow down. It is important to keep your antivirus updated, new viruses appear every day.
- Install an AntiSpyware . Spyware can violate your privacy by tracking the websites you have visited and adding certain functions to your system, some spyware can redirect the websites you are looking for and send you to other sites. There is antispam software that allows you to remove these annoying programs from computers.
- Keep your antivirus or antispam protection up to date. Most computers that are affected by viruses or spam do not have any type of protection installed or updated, especially Microsoft operating software is very vulnerable to virus attacks. Every antivirus has an existing virus update system, it is recommended that you periodically update your antivirus and/or antispam software. You can configure the program so that the update is carried out automatically.
- Educate yourself . The best way to protect yourself against malware is to follow certain rules of care such as not opening documents attached to emails from people you don’t know. Do not install “free” programs without checking them first, many free programs are actually viruses, spam, adware or some other malicious program that is downloaded to your computer at the time of installation of the free program. Do not share your financial or personal passwords with anyone, keep your passwords safe and confidential, do not save them in any document on your computer.
- Secure your wireless connection. If you are traveling and you have to use wireless internet (wifi or wireless) take the respective precautions, verify that the connection to your email is made securely via https. At home, protect your wireless internet through WPA configuration, so that unauthorized people cannot access your network.