RAM Memory – Concept, Characteristics and Types
RAM stands for random access memory. RAM memory is used by a computer when it is running. RAM is volatile, this means that when the power is turned off, the data vanishes. The RAM memory used in a desktop computer and in a laptop computer are physically different, this is due to the size that can be used in these computers. RAM memory helps the computer to perform tasks quickly. RAM helps the CPU to reclaim memory quickly, the CPU does the calculations.
The following are the few characteristics of RAM:
- It is volatile. That is, programs and data are lost once the power supply is turned off.
- Data and instructions can be read from or written to it.
- Access content directly regardless of the order in which the data was stored.
- The content in RAM is dictated by the user.
Types of RAM
There are several types of RAM memory:
- Static RAM (SRAM)
- Dynamic RAM (DRAM)
- Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
- Single Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDR SDRAM)
- Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic RAM (DDR SDRAM, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4)
- Dynamic Synchronous Double Data Rate Graphics RAM (GDDR SDRAM, GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR4, GDDR5)
- Memoria flash